Victoria City Tour
St. Charles Street – 1000 Block
1041 St. Charles Street
1041 St. Charles Street was designed and built in 1907 by architect Samuel Maclure for Charles Fox Todd (1856-1941) and Louisa Todd (nee Norris; 1860-1930) at an estimated 1907 construction cost of $16,000.
Here’s a map showing the location of 1041 St. Charles Street.
A Brief History of 1041 St. Charles Street
In 1907 architect Samuel Maclure was commissioned to design this house for Charles Fox Todd, who ran J.H. Todd & Sons, the family fish canning business. The company’s Horseshoe Brand canned salmon was sold world wide, with Britain being the largest importer.
In 1910, Charles Todd’s son, William Charles Todd, married Mary Chatwin Butchart, the daughter of Robert and Jennie Butchart (of Butchart Gardens), in a ceremony held in the gardens of Illahie. William and Mary Todd then moved into the house Samuel Maclure had designed for them across the street at 942-944 St. Charles Street.
Charles Fox Todd lived here until his death in 1941. After his death the house was converted into six rental apartments and renamed the Villa St. Charles Apartments.
Additional Information on 1041 St. Charles Street
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?