Downtown Victoria Tour

Yates Street – 500 Block

533 Yates Street

533 Yates Street was built in 1887 as the warehouse and office of Boucherat & Co., Liquor Merchants.

It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

533 Yates Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

533 Yates Street (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of 533 Yates Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 533 Yates Street:

Additional Information About 533 Yates Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2020): $2,194,000; Land $1,343,000 Buildings $851,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2019): $2,428,000; Land $1,159,000 Buildings $1,269,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2018): $2,250,000; Land $1,077,000 Buildings $1,173,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $2,079,000; Land $931,000 Buildings $1,148,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,820,000; Land $884,000 Buildings $936,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,714,000; Land $763,000 Buildings $951,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places

A Brief History of 533 Yates Street

533 Yates Street was built in 1887 as a warehouse and office for Boucherat & Co., Liquor Merchants. Soon after the building was finished, Boucherat & Co. became Pither & Leiser, which continued to operate a wholesale liquor business in this building.

Pither & Leiser outgrew this building and built the adjacent building at 535 Yates Street in 1900 as its new warehouse and office.

We will be adding more history of this building in the near future.

Here are links to some historic photos of 533 Yates Street:

Here are two other downtown Victoria buildings associated with the firm of Pither & Leiser:

535 Yates Street, built in 1900 and now listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places

535 Yates Street, built in 1900 and now listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places

535 Yates Street

535 Yates Street was designed and built in 1900 by architect Thomas Hooper as an office and warehouse for the liquor wholesale firm of Pither & Leiser.

Read More…

1019 Wharf Street, built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Pither & Leiser, a liquor and wine wholesaler and importer.

1019 Wharf Street, built in 1906 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Pither & Leiser, a liquor and wine wholesaler and importer.

1019 Wharf Street

1019 Wharf Street was designed and built in 1905 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for the firm of Pither & Leiser.

Read More…

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?