Fisgard Street – 500 Block
505 Fisgard Street / 1623 – 1627 Store Street
This building at 505 Fisgard Street and 1623-1627 Store Street was built in 1898 by architect Thomas Hooper for Dennis Harris. It was originally part of a single building with the adjacent structure at 1619 Store Street but the original building has now been legally divided into two sections: 1619 Store Street and 1623-1627 Store Street/505 Fisgard Street.
Here is a map showing the location of 1623 – 1627 Store Street / 505 Fisgard Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 505 Fisgard Street:
Additional Information About 1623/1627 Store Street and 505 Fisgard Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $2,646,000; Land $1,152,000 Buildings $1,494,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $2,306,000; Land $1,096,000 Buildings $1,210,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $2,168,000; Land $945,000 Buildings $1,223,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $2,033,000; Land $893,000 Buildings $1,140,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of 1623-1627 Store Street/505 Fisgard Street
This building at 1623-1627 Store Street/505 Fisgard Street and 1619 Store Street was designed and built in 1898 by architect Thomas Hooper. The arches in the building’s facade are similar to other Thomas Hopper designs from the period, including the Vernon Block at 1000-1002 Government Street and the Earle Building.
In August 1898 this building was sold by Dennis R. Harris for $7,000 to Lim Dat and Wong Soon Lim, who rented out the ground level as stores and the level as tenements. Architectural historians still refer to this building as the Lim Dat building and it is listed under that name on the Canadian Register of Historic Places..
In December 1935 the City of Victoria took over the building for tax arrears. It was in the City’s hands for nearly four years. In October 1939 the City of Victoria sold the building for $2,500 to John Waters, who converted it into a machine shop.
Although 1619-1627 Store Street was originally designed by architect Thomas Hooper as a single building, it is currently divided legally into two separate buildings: one at 1619 Store Street, the second at 1623-1627 Store Street/505 Fisgard Street
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?