Downtown Victoria Tour
Store Street

1415-1425 Store Street was built in 1883 by owner Giacomo Bossi as an extension of the adjacent building which Giacomo Bossi owned at 1405-1413 Store Street / 530-540 Johnson Street.

It has become known to architectural historians as the Scott & Peden Building. named for early tenants Scott & Peden, whose painted sign is still visible below the roofline. Scott & Peden occupied this building circa 1899 until 1913, when the company built a new warehouse nearby at 1601-1613 Store Street, now Swan’s Hotel.

This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1990 and was listed in 2006.

1415-1425 Store Street, built circa 1896.

1415-1425 Store Street, built in 1883.

Here is a map showing the location of 1415-1425 Store Street:

Additional Information About the Scott & Peden Building, 1415-1425 Store Street

1415-1425 Store Street is legally consolidated into Market Square, 560 Johnson Street

  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2015): $16,337,000; Land $7.999,000 Buildings $8.338,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2014): $15,753,000; Land $7.567,000 Buildings $8.186,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – recognized in 1990, listed in 2006.

 

A Brief History of the Scott & Peden Building, 1415-1425 Store Street

1415-1425 Store Street was built in 1883 by owner Giacomo Bossi as an extension of the adjacent building which Giacomo Bossi owned at 1405-1413 Store Street / 530-540 Johnson Street.

It has become known to architectural historians as the Scott & Peden Building. named for early tenants Scott & Peden, whose painted sign is still visible below the roofline. Scott & Peden occupied this building until 1913, when the company built a new warehouse nearby at 1601-1613 Store Street, now Swan’s Hotel.

This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1990 and was listed in 2006.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?