Downtown Victoria Tour
Store Street – Johnson Street

This City of Victoria Heritage Building at 1405-1413 Store Street and 530-540 Johnson Street was originally built in 1879 by Giacomo Bossi (1831-1893) for his liquor and grocery store. In 1883, Giacomo Bossi added a section to the north, along Store Street, to his original building and opened it as the Grand Pacific Hotel. In 1887, he built another addition along Johnson Street to the east of the original building.

This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1990 and listed in 2006. It is now part of the Market Square complex.

530-540 Johnson Street, built by Giacomo Bossi in 1879 with additions in 1883 and 1887.

530-540 Johnson Street / 1405-1413 Store Street, built by Giacomo Bossi in 1879 with additions in 1883 and 1887.

530-540 Johnson Street, built by Giacomo Bossi in 1879 with additions in 1883 and 1887.

530-540 Johnson Street / 1405-1413 Store Street, built by Giacomo Bossi in 1879 with additions in 1883 and 1887.

 

Here is a map showing the location of 1405-1413 Store Street:

Additional Information About 1405-1413 Store Street / 530-540 Johnson Street

1405-1413 Store Street / 530-540 Johnson Street is legally consolidated into Market Square, 560 Johnson Street

  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2017): $18,378,000; Land $10.155,000 Buildings $8.223,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2016): $17,644,000; Land $9.179,000 Buildings $8.465,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2015): $16,337,000; Land $7.999,000 Buildings $8.338,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2014): $15,753,000; Land $7.567,000 Buildings $8.186,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – recognized in 1990 and listed in 2006.

 

A Brief History of 1405-1413 Store Street / 530-540 Johnson Street

Here are links to some historic photos of this building and of Giacomo Bossi:

This City of Victoria Heritage Building at 1405-1413 Store Street and 530-540 Johnson Street was originally built in 1879 by Giacomo Bossi (1831-1893) for his liquor and grocery store. In 1883, Giacomo Bossi added a section to the north, along Store Street, to his original building and opened it as the Grand Pacific Hotel. In 1887, he built another addition along Johnson Street to the east of the original building.

For much of its history, this building was a hotel.

In the 1970’s, it was made part of the Market Square complex. It is still part of Market Square.

This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1990 and listed in 2006.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?