1337 Rockland Avenue was built in 1928 by architects Ralph Berrill and Jameson Parker for Edward and Grace Pooley at an estimated construction cost of $40,000. It is on the City of Victoria Heritage Register.
A Brief History of 1337 Rockland Avenue
1337 Rockland Avenue was built in 1928 by architects Ralph Berrill and Jameson Parker for Edward Foster Pooley and Grace Pooley (nee Higbee, 1866-1937). The estimated construction cost at $40,000.
The Pooleys lived here until about 1935 when the house was purchased by Sarah Benning, who lived here until about 1950.
By 1951 the property had been converted into 10 rental apartments and was being operated as the Robleda Apartments. The name Robleda came from a former mansion, named Robleda, designed by architect William Ridgway Wilson, which stood on this site between 1890 and 1927, when it burned down.
The conversion of former Victoria mansions and other larger homes into rental apartments was quite common in the 1950’s. In 1951-52 Robleda Apartments was being managed by May Ethel Cherry, who also managed other former Rockland area mansions which had been converted into apartments, including 1320 Rockland Avenue, 1195 Fort Street, 834 Pemberton Road and 1385 Manor Road.
The building is currently Robleda Manor.
For more information on 1337 Rockland Avenue
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?