Government Street – 1200 Block
1230 Government Street – Federal Building
The Federal Building at 1230 Government Street was built between 1948-1952 by architects Percy Leonard James and Douglas James. The original design was for federal government offices on the upper floors with the Post Office downtown main branch on the main floor.
In the 1980’s the Post Office moved out of the Federal Building and the main floor was converted into retail space. The upper floors are still government offices.
Here is a map showing the location of 1230 Government Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Federal Building:
A Brief History of the Federal Building – 1230 Government Street
Here are links to some historic photos of the Federal Building:
- BC Archives photo I-01662 – the Adelphi Building which was torn down to make way for the current Federal Building
- BC Archives photo I-20606 – 1946, 1200 block Government Street before construction of the Federal Building
- BC Archives item PDP00592 – 1947 architects’ drawing of planned Federal Building
- City of Victoria Archives photo M00862 – Architects’ model of Federal Building, 1947
- BC archives photo D-05166 – 1951
- BC Archives photo D-05167 – 1951
- BC Archives photo D-05164 – 1952, newly completed building, Government Street view
- BC Archives photo D-05210 – 1952, newly completed building, Yates Street view
- BC Archives photo D-05165 – 1952, Langley Street elevation
- BC Archives photo D-05168 – 1952, Coat of Arms on Government Street facade
- BC Archives photo D-05170 – 1952, lobby
- BC Archives photo D-05171 – 1952, interior space prior to building opening
- BC Archives photo D-05211 – 1952, interior of Post Office
- BC Archives photo D-05212 – 1952, interior of Post Office
- BC Archives photo D-05213 – 1952, interior of Post Office
The upper floors have always been federal government offices.
The main floor was originally designed as the main downtown branch of Canada Post. It has since been converted to retail use.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?