This landmark building was designed and built in 1907 by architect Francis Rattenbury for the Merchants Bank of Canada, which used it as its main branch office in Victoria.
When the Bank of Montreal took over the Merchants Bank of Canada in 1921-22, this building became a Bank of Montreal branch and has remained Victoria’s main downtown branch of the Bank of Montreal to this day.
Here is some additional information about the Bank of Montreal, 1225 Douglas Street
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $9,385,000; Land $2,430,000, Buildings $6.955,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $8,943,000; Land $2,296,000, Buildings $6.647,000
- Bank of Montreal History (note: PDF)
- British Immigrants In Montreal
- Evolution of Canadian Banks
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?