As part of our series on Historic Victoria Advertisements, Automobiles & Transportation, 1910-1919, here is a 1913 advertisement for the Hupmobile, from the Vancouver Island Motor Company Limited, 937-941 View Street.
As the advertisement indicates, Hupmobile, manufactured by the Hupp Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, was a popular car brand in 1913. It remained a popular brand until 1930, when it made the mistake of producing large, fuel consuming cars as the Depression rendered consumers unable to afford the fuel to run the cars Hupmobile was producing. The Hupp Motor Car Company ceased operations in 1940.
937-941 View Street is now a parking lot but in the early 20th century it was home to a succession of car dealerships, including Begg Motor Company, which was located here in 1926 as the company built its new offices and showroom at 1250 Quadra Street / 865 Yates Street.
Here is a map showing the location of 937 View Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 937 View Street as it now appears:
Here is another early 20th century advertisement for The Begg Motors Company, a Chevrolet dealer at 937 View Street in 1926:
Begg Motor Company, 1926
Notice that Begg Motor Company was located at 937 View Street and 936 Fort Street, one block to the south. It appears that, in 1926, there was a single building, or two buildings with access between them, running on this entire lot between View Street and Fort Street. We will try to find some historic photographs of this location in future.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?