Downtown Victoria Tour – Victoria City Tour
Cook Street – 1000 Block
1030 Cook Street – October Mansion
October Mansion at 1030 Cook Street (between Fort Street and Meares Street) was built in 1910-11 by architect George Charles Mesher for Albert Edward Todd. The original building permit, issued to Albert Todd by the City of Victoria in March 1910, described it as a 90 room, 3 storey “apartment house” with an estimated building cost of $40,000.
This historic apartment building was placed on the City of Victoria Heritage Registry in 2012.
It is still rental apartments and has been since it was completed in 1911.
Albert Todd intended this building to be an engagement present for his fiance, Ada Seabrook. They named it October Mansion after the month that Ada Seabrook accepted Albert Todd’s marriage proposal.
October Mansion is still an apartment building and has been rental apartments since it opened in 1911.
Here is a map showing the location of October Mansion at 1030 Cook Street, between Fort Street and Meares Street.
Here is a Google Street View image of October Mansions, 1030 Cook Street:
Additional Information About October Mansion, 1030 Cook Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $5,250,000; Land $4,305,000 Buildings $945,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $4,334,000; Land $3,340,000 Buildings $994,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $3,762,000; Land $2,690,000 Buildings $1,072,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $3,085,000; Land $1,920,000 Buildings $1,165,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $2,908,000; Land $1,704,000 Buildings $1,204,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $2,701,000; Land $1,450,000 Buildings $1,251,000
- Hallmark Society – Victoria
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
Here are some historic photographs you may find interesting:
- BC Archives photo C-07414 – Albert Edward Todd circa 1883
- BC Archives photo G-09090 – Albert Edward Todd at Sooke Lake, circa 1904
Here are some other buildings designed by architect George Charles Mesher:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.