Artist Emily Carr had this house at 642-646 Simcoe Street built in 1913 by architect John Wilson as an apartment house to generate income. Emily Carr lived upstairs and had her studio on the second floor while renting out apartments on the main floor and parts of the second floor.
Emily Carr named this house “The House of All Sorts.”
Emily Carr lived in this house for about twenty years. In the 1930’s she sold this property and moved into a nearby cottage at 316 Beckley Street.
This house is listed on the City of Victoria Heritage Register.
Additional Information About 642-646 Simcoe Street
- Assessed Value (2016): $861,000; Land: $720,000; Buildings: $141,000
- Assessed Value (2015): $597,400; Land: $588,000; Buildings: $9,400
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
- Victoria Hallmark Society
Here are links to some historic photos of 624-646 Simcoe Street:
- BC Archives photo F-07886 – back yard circa 1930
Here are some other nearby sites associated with Emily Carr:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?