Yates Street – 700 Block
721 Yates Street
721 Yates Street was originally designed in 1909 by architect George Charles Mesher as a commercial building for the Victoria Building Company but was sold during construction and converted into a hotel on the upper floors with the main floor at street level divided into retail space. It was operated as the Portland Hotel.
It is now called The Churchill and is presently configured as commercial space on the main floor with apartments on the upper floors.
Here is a map showing the location of 721 Yates Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 721 Yates Street:
Additional Information About 721 Yates Street
721 Yates Street is legally consolidated with the adjacent Finch Building at 719 Yates Street.
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $9,732,000; Land $8,391,000 Buildings $1,341,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $8,428,000; Land $7,080,000 Buildings $1,348,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $7,638,000; Land $6,282,000 Buildings $1,356,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $7,055,000; Land $5,757,000 Buildings $1,298,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of 721 Yates Street
721 Yates Street was built in 1909 by architect George Charles Mesher for the Victoria Building Company. The original building permit, issued to the Victoria Building Co. by the City of Victoria in February 1909, describes a “new brick building, 4 storey, 44 rooms. Purpose: stores” with an estimated construction cost of $20,000.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 721 Yates Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M08920 – 1911, as the Wilson Building
- BC Archives photo E-02737 – circa 1912
- City of Victoria Archives photo M06755 – circa 1946. as the Portland Hotel
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01391 – circa 1959
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01391 – 1960, also showing 727 Yates Street
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.