Downtown Victoria Tour
Courtney Street – 700 Block
716 Courtney Street
This building was built in 1910-11 by architect David C. Frame for the Alexandra Club, an exclusive women’s club intended as an alternative to the Union Club on Gordon Street, which, at that time, restricted its membership to men only.
The original building permit, issued by the City of Victoria in September 1910, described a “new brick building, 3 story, 30 rooms” to be built as a “club” at an estimated construction cost of $51,200.
The Alexandra Club building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Here is a map showing the location of the former Alexandra Club building at 716 Courtney Street:
The photo below shows some of the original window detailing still in place on the front windows of the the former Alexandra Ladies Club at 716 Courtney Street:
Additional Information About 716 Courtney Street
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $3,887,000; Land: $1,359,000; Buildings: $2,528,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $3,380,000; Land: $1,171,000; Buildings: $2,209,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?