This building was built in 1885 as the law chambers of Theodore Davie, (1852-1898), a lawyer who went on to serve as Premier of B.C. between 1892 and 1895.
It is now the Garrick’s Head Pub.
A Brief History of 69 Bastion Square
This building was built in 1885 as a law office for Theodore Davie (1852-1898) who specialized in criminal law. At that time the City Jail was directly across Langley Street on the site of 28-30 Bastion Square, so this was an ideal location for a criminal law practice. In 1889, the present building at 28-30 Bastion Square was built as the Provincial Court House, creating an additional incentive for law offices to locate in this area. Many of the late 19th and early 20th century buildings in this area were originally built as lawyers’ offices, including the Law Chambers Building at 43-47 bastion Square and 1118 Langley Street, 50-56 Bastion Square (now ReBar) and the Chancery Chambers at 1218 Langley Street.
For more information on the Hon. Theodore Davie, see:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?