Downtown Victoria Tour

Government Street – 1100 Block

1130-1140 Government Street – Bedford Regency Hotel

1130-1140 Government Street is now the Bedford Regency Hotel.

This building was originally built in 1912 by architect Thomas Hooper as a retail and office location for Hibben-Bone, Booksellers & Stationers. Along with its own operations, Hibben-Bone rented out office space on the upper floors. Architect Thomas Hooper rented an office on the 5th floor of this building.

The Bedford Regency Hotel, 1140 Government Street, is in a building that was originally built by architect Thomas Hooper in 1912 for Hibben-Bone Stationers (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Here’s a map showing the location of the Bedford Regency Hotel, 1130-1140 Government Street.

The Customs House, 1002 Wharf Street, built in 1874-75. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Additional Information About 1130-1140 Government Street

This building at 1130-1140 Government Street is legally consolidated with 1150 Government Street and 69 Bastion Square. The assessed value of the consolidated buildings is shown below:

  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $6,225,000; Land $2,610,000 Buildings $3,615,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $5,310,000; Land $2,466,000 Buildings $2,846,000

A Brief History of the Hibben-Bone Building, 1130-1140 Government Street

Here are some historic photos of this building and its original owners:

Hibben-Bone, Booksellers & Stationers was an established Victoria business when it retained architect Thomas Hooper in 1912 to design and build this six story structure.  Hibben-Bone intended to operate its own store on the main floor and rent out office space on the upper floors to commercial tenants.

In April 1912 the City of Victoria issued a building permit to Hibben-Bone for a “new reinforced concrete building, 6 story, 96 rooms, purpose: stores & offices” with an estimated construction cost of $85,000.

Although the Government Street facade is only 5 stories, the Langley Street facade, one block west, is six stories, as described in the original 1912 building permit.

Architect Thomas Hooper rented office space on the 5th floor of the Hibben-Bone Block.

The Hibben-Bone Block was an office building until the 1930’s, when it was converted into the Churchill Hotel.

It has been a hotel ever since. The Churchill Hotel operated here until the 1980’s.

The building is now the Bedford Regency Hotel.

The Langley Street facade of the Bedford Regency Hotel, 1130-1140 Douglas Street

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?