Downtown Victoria Tour
Fisgard Street – 500 Block
554 – 562 Fisgard Street – Chinese Consolidated benevolent Association Building
This City of Victoria Heritage Building at 554-562 Fisgard Street was designed in 1885 for the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association by architect John Teague. It is still owned by the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association.
This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995 and listed in 2009.
Here is a map showing the location of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association Building at 554-562 Fisgard Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association Building:
Additional Information About 554-562 Fisgard Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1.680,000; Land $1,133,000 Buildings $547,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1.602,000; Land $1,021,000 Buildings $581,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1.493,000; Land $901,000 Buildings $592,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1.460,000; Land $852,000 Buildings $608,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – recognized in 1995 and listed in 2009.
A Brief History of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association Building
In March 1885 the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association purchased the land this building stands on for $4,500 and commissioned architect John Teague to design and build this building on the site.
The original design featured a double tired verandah and balconies which projected out over the sidewalk, supported by wooden columns. These balconies were removed in the early 20th century but the double doors on the second and third floors originally opened onto these balconies and are evidence of John Teague‘s original design intention.
The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association maintained its offices on the second floor, rented out the commercial space on the main floor and used the third floor for a shrine, called the Palace of All Sages, and a school called the Chinese Free School. This school was replaced by the Chinese Public School at 636 Fisgard Street in 1908. The Palace of All Sages was moved to the Chinese Public School in the 1960’s.
The second and third floors were left vacant in the 1970’s because they did not conform to new fire regulations and building codes. They were renovated in the 1980’s and are now apartments and studios.
Here are links to some historic photos of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association building:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?