Pandora Avenue – Store Street
506 Pandora Avenue – Swan’s Hotel & Pub
This landmark building at the northeast corner of Store Street and Pandora Avenue is now Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub at 506 Pandora Avenue.
It was originally built in 1913 by architect Milo S. Farwell as a warehouse for Scott & Peden, a feed and grain dealer. The building was converted into Swan’s Hotel in 1987 by Michael Williams, who bequeathed the building to its current owner, the University of Victoria.
Here is a map showing the location of 506 Pandora Avenue:
Here is a Google Street View image of 506 Pandora Avenue:
Additional Information About 1601-1613 Store Street & 502-510 Pandora Avenue.
This building has been legally consolidated with 1615 Store Street into one complex, listed as 506 Pandora Avenue. The tax assessed value of the entire complex is shown below:
- Assessed Value (July 2020): $6,472,000; Land – $4,549,000, Buildings – $1,923,000
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $7,471,000; Land – $3,348,000, Buildings – $4,123,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $6,317,000; Land – $3,032,000, Buildings – $3,265,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $6,065,000; Land – $2,906,000, Buildings – $3,159,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $5,739,000; Land – $2,763,000, Buildings – $2,967,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $5,563,000; Land – $2,382,000, Buildings – $3,181,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,685,000; Land – $2,250,000, Buildings – $2,435,000
A Brief History of 1601-1613 Store Street & 502-510 Pandora Avenue
This building was built in 1913 by architect Milo S. Farwell as a warehouse for Scott & Peden, a feed and grain dealer.
As a feed and grain warehouse this was a very utilitarian building. A rail line once ran directly to the building so boxcars could be brought right up to the loading docks.
In the 1950’s Scott & Peden sold the building to Buckerfields, which continued using it as a feed and grain warehouse until the 1980’s.
Buckerfields sold the building to developer Micheal Williams, who converted it into Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub, which opened in 1987 and continues to occupy the building today.
Micheal Williams died in 2000 and bequeathed this building and the Swan’s Hotel & Brewpub business to the University of Victoria, which still owns it.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?