Victoria City Tour
1512 Beach Drive was built in 1898-1899 by architect John Gerhard Tiarks (1867-1901) for Arthur Haynes and Matilda Haynes. In 1976 it was designated an Oak Bay Heritage Building and was also listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
At the time this house was built in 1898-1899, it was one of only two houses on this part of Beach Drive. The other was 1256 Beach Drive, built in 1892.
Here is a map showing the location of 1512 Beach Drive:
Additional Information About 1512 Beach Drive
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,958,000; Land $1,684,000 Buildings $274,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,644,000; Land $1,323,000 Buildings $321,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,206,000; Land $1,021,000 Buildings $185,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,214,000; Land $946,000 Buildings $268,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 1976
- District of Oak Bay Heritage Building –
A Brief History of 1512 Beach Drive
This house was originally part of the first planned subdivision in Oak Bay. This subdivision was a 15 acre project, designed by architects Francis Rattenbury and John Gerhard Tiarks, along the shore of Oak Bay.
At the time it was completed in 1899 it was one of only two homes on this section of Beach Drive. The other was 1256 Beach Drive, built in 1892. It is of only 20 surviving 19th century buildings (out of 250 still standing when Oak Bay was incorporated in 1906) still standing in Oak Bay.
Original owner Arthur Haynes was an accountant with Victoria financier Edgar Crow-Baker (1845-1920) when this house was built. By 1910 he was manager of British American Trust and he formed his own real estate firm, A.E. Haynes Real Estate, in 1926.
He was one of the signatories of the petition to incorporate Oak Bay as a municipality and was subsequently elected to Oak Bay’s first municipal council in 1906.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?