Downtown Victoria Tour
Douglas Street – 1200 Block
The Sayward Building was built in 1911 by architect George C. Mesher for Joseph Sayward (1862-1934), one of Victoria’s prominent business leaders of the period.
The original building permit, issued to Joseph Sayward by the City of Victoria in June 1910, describes a “new reinforced concrete building, 56 rooms” for use as “stores and offices” with an estimated construction cost of $100,000.
Here is a map showing the location of the Sayward Building:
Additional Information About The Sayward Building
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $12,323,000; Land $2,283,000; Buildings $10,040,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $11,539,000; Land $2,171,000; Buildings $9,368,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $10,181,000; Land $1,872,000; Buildings $8,309,000
A Brief History of the Sayward Building
The Sayward Building was built in 1910-11 by architect George C. Mesher for Joseph A. Sayward, who intended it as stores and offices. It has always maintained that configuration, with commercial space on the main, or street, level and offices in the upper floors.
The Sayward Building is one of three downtown Victoria office buildings which George C. Mesher designed in the period 1910-1913. The other two are the former Metropolis Hotel (now provincial government offices) at 718 Yates Street and the Pemberton Block (now the Yarrow Building) at the corner of Fort Street and Broad Street.
For more information on the Sayward Building:
- Joseph Austin Sayward (note: PDF)
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?