Government Street – 1000 Block
1017-1021 Government Street – the Galpin Block
The Galpin Block at 1017-1021 Government Street was built in 1884 for British publisher and investor Thomas Dixon Galpin (1828-1910).
It is a City of Victoria Heritage Building and is now an office building with retail space on the main floor.
Here’s a map showing the location of the Galpin Block at 1017-1021 Government Street.
Here is a Google Street View image of the Galpin Block, 1017-1021 Government Street:
Additional Information About the Galpin Block, 1017-1021 Government Street:
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $3,648,000; Land $1,533,000; Buildings $2,115,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $3,333,000; Land $1,137,000; Buildings $2,196,000
- Thomas Dixon Galpin (note: PDF)
- Hallmark Heritage Society
A Brief History of the Galpin Block, 1017-1021 Government Street:
This was the first of several commercial buildings erected in Victoria British publisher Thomas Dixon Galpin, a partner in the firm of Cassell, Petter and Galpin, the largest publishing house in England at the time.
The ground floor contained Pennock & Clayton Jewellers from 1890-1895 and Challoner & Mitchell from 1895-1914. The second floor was home of the Alexandra Club from 1900 to 1911 before the Alexandra Club built its own building at 716 Courtney Street.
In 1912, the owner of the adjacent Brown Jug Saloon took over this building, known then as the Albion Hotel, to comply with the new liquor act requirements of drinking establishments having hotel accommodations. Under this arrangement the building was renamed the Brown Jug Hotel.
The commercial space on the main floor has occupied by the Irish Linen Shop since 1917. The upper floors are currently used as provincial government offices.
Here are links to some historic photographs of the Galpin Block, 1017-1021 Government Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01364 – Albion Hotel, 1960
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?