Victoria City Tour

St. Charles Street – 1000 Block

1005 St. Charles Street

1005 St. Charles Street was built in 1910-11 by architect Samuel Maclure for Simon Leiser (1851-1917) and Caroline Leiser (1856-1935). It is listed as Heritage Registered by the City of Victoria Heritage Registry.

Simon Leiser was one of the leading figures in late 19th and early 20th century Victoria business. The office and warehouse for his wholesale grocery company, Simon Leiser & Co., is still standing at 524 Yates Street. He is also associated with the construction of the Board of Trade Building, 31 Bastion Square, and the Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton Street.

1005 St. Charles Street. Built in 1910-11 by architect Samuel Maclure for Simon Leiser and Caroline Leiser. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing)

Here’s a map showing the location of 1005 St. Charles Street.

Additional Information About 1005 St. Charles Street

A Brief History of 1005 St. Charles Street

1005 St. Charles Street was built in 1910-11 by architect Samuel Maclure for Simon Leiser and Caroline Leiser.

After Simon Leiser‘s death in 1917, Caroline Leiser (1856-1935) lived here until 1919, when the property was sold for $50,000 to George Bushby, who lived here until 1922.

Simon Leiser was one of the leading figures in late 19th and early 20th century Victoria business. The office and warehouse for his wholesale grocery company, Simon Leiser & Co., is still standing at 524 Yates Street. He is also associated with the construction of the Board of Trade Building, 31 Bastion Square, and the Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton Street.

Simon Leiser was also a leading figure in Victoria’s Jewish community, serving as President of Congregation Emanu-El at 1461 Blanshard Street.

There were several owners between 1922 and 1959, when the home was converted from a single family residence to a 10 suite apartment building called St. Charles Lodge.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?