Downtown Victoria Tour
Douglas Street – 900 Block
912 Douglas Street – Rexall Drugs
This building at 912 Douglas Street was designed and built in 1953 by architect John Di Castri. It is now occupied by Rexall Drugs.
This building is considered an important example of mid-20th century architecture. It was placed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2008.
Additional Information About 912 Douglas Street
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $4,970,000; Land $2,525,000 Buildings $2,445,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,821,000; Land $2,177,000 Buildings $2,644,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,821,000; Land $2,057,000 Buildings $2,764,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – Images showing 2006 appearance
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
A Brief History of 912 Douglas Street
This building was designed and built in 1954 for Ballantyne’s Florists by architect John Di Castri, one of Victoria’s leading mid-20th century architects.
The original John Di Castri design divided this building into 4 separate retail spaces and this building followed that original design until 2010, when the building was renovated into a single commercial space.
Rexall Drugs has occupied the building since 2011, having moved from its previous location in the Yarrow Building, at the corner of Fort Street and Broad Street, where it had maintained a store since the 1950’s.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?