Downtown Victoria Tour
Government Street – 800 Block
809-817 Government Street – Metropolitan Building
The Metropolitan Building at 809-817 Government Street / 605 Courtney Street was built in 1903 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Joseph Rostein and Lewis Rostein. The Metropolitan Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Here is a map showing the location of :
Here is a Google Street View image of :
Additional Information About The Metropolitan Building
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $6,412,000; Land $3,715,000; Buildings $2,697,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $5,629,000; Land $2,808,000; Buildings $2,821,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of the Metropolitan Building
The Metropolitan Building was built in 1903 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Joseph Rostein and Lewis Rostein at a construction cost of $14,000. It was was originally called the Rostein Building but was re-named the Metropolitan Building circa 1904.
The Rostein brothers built the Metropolitan Building with the intention of renting space to commercial tenants. Early tenants included the Windsor Grocery, the American Consulate and Thomas Plimley, who ran a bicycle shop at the time he was in this building. Thomas Plimley later branched out into selling motorcycles and cars at other Victoria locations.
Alterations were made to the Metropolitan Building in 1946 by the architectal firm of Birley, Wade and Stockdill, which changed the original Douglas Street facade and removed the building’s original cornice.
The Metropolitan Building has always been a commercial building with stores on the main level and office space on the second floor.
For additional information on the Metropolitan Building:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?