Downtown Victoria Tour
Blanshard Street – 700 Block

780 Blanshard Street – the B.C. Power Commission Building

This City of Victoria Heritage Building at 780 Blanshard Street was built in 1939-1940 and is an excellent local example of Art Deco architecture.

The building was originally intended as a hospital but its first use was as the headquarters for the B.C. Power Commission. The Columbia River Treaty was signed in this building in 1961.

It is now used as B.C.  provincial government offices. It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

780 Blanshard Street, built in 1939-1940. It became the headquarters of the B.C. Power Commission. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of 780 Blanshard Street.

Here is a Google Street View image of 780 Blanshard Street:
 
 

 
 

780 Blanshard Street, built in 1939-1940. It became the headquarters of the B.C. Power Commission. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)
780 Blanshard Street, built in 1939-1940. It became the headquarters of the B.C. Power Commission. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Additional Information About 780 Blanshard Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $8,477,000; Land $4,540,000 Buildings $3,937,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $7,742,000; Land $4,317,000 Buildings $3,625,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $6,884,000; Land $3,555,000 Buildings $3,329,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $6,766,000; Land $3,359,000 Buildings $3,407,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – formally recognized in 1995, listed in 2005

A Brief History of 780 Blanshard Street

This City of Victoria Heritage Building was built in 1939-1940 and is an excellent example of Art Deco architecture.

It was designed by Henry Whittaker (1885-1971), who was the Chief Architect for the Province of British Columbia between 1919-1949.

The building was originally intended as a hospital but its first use was as the headquarters for the B.C. Power Commission. The Columbia River Treaty was signed in this building in 1961.

It is now used as B.C.  provincial government offices. It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?