Downtown Victoria Tour
Johnson Street – 500 Block

585-587 Johnson Street

 

This single storey building at 585-587 Johnson Street has an interesting history. It was built in 1877 by architect John Teague for Thomas Shotbolt (1842-1922), a pioneer pharmacist, who used it for his drug store, Shotbolt’s Pharmacy.

585-587 Johnson Street, originally a two storey building, built in 1877 by architect John Teague for Thomas Shotbolt and his Shotbolt's Drug Store

585-587 Johnson Street, originally a two storey building, built in 1877 by architect John Teague for Thomas Shotbolt and his Shotbolt’s Drug Store

This building was originally a two storey structure, with an apartment for Thomas Shotbolt and his family on the second floor and two stores on the street level. In 1877, Thomas Shotbolt used one storefront for his own business and rented out the the second store to a grocer named Thomas Nicholson. Thomas Shotbolt’s drug store operated in this building until the 1950’s and was considered a tourism attraction because it retained its 19th century appearance until the business closed in the 1950’s.

The second storey of the building was removed in the 1950’s. The doorway between the two store fronts originally led to Thomas Shotbolt’s apartment on the second floor. The street level facade has also been extensively altered from its original appearance.

Here is a map showing the location of 585-587 Johnson Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 585-587 Johnson Street:

Additional Information on 585-587 Johnson Street:

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,398,000; Land $1,187,000, Buildings $211,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,215,000; Land $1,129,000, Buildings $86,500
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,157,000; Land $973,000, Buildings $184,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,157,000; Land $919,000, Buildings $238,000

A Brief History of 585-587 Johnson Street

Here are some links to historic photographs of Thomas Shotbolt and Shotbolt’s Drug Store:

This single storey building at 585-587 Johnson Street has an interesting history. It was built in 1877 by architect John Teague for Thomas Shotbolt (1842-1922), a pioneer pharmacist, who used it for his drug store, Shotbolt’s Pharmacy.

This building was originally a two storey structure, with an apartment for Thomas Shotbolt and his family on the second floor and two stores on the street level. In 1877, Thomas Shotbolt used one storefront for his own business and rented out the the second store to a grocer named Thomas Nicholson. Thomas Shotbolt’s drug store operated in this building until the 1950’s and was considered a tourism attraction because it retained its 19th century appearance until the business closed in the 1950’s.

The second storey of the building was removed in the 1950’s. The doorway between the two store fronts originally led to Thomas Shotbolt’s apartment on the second floor. The street level facade has also been extensively altered from its original appearance.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?