570-572 Johnson Street
This store at 570-572 Johnson Street was built in 1905 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Jeune Brothers, sailmakers and tent manufacturers. Jeune Brothers Tent & Awning have occupied this store since it was built in 1905.
Here is a map showing the location of 570-572 Johnson Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 570-572 Johnson Street:
Additional Information About 570-572 Johnson Street
568 Johnson Street and 570 Johnson Street are legally amalgamated into one property
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,915,000; Land $1,360,000 Buildings $555,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,745,000; Land $1,382,000 Buildings $362,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,524,000; Land $1,315,000 Buildings $209,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,755,000; Land $1,134,000 Buildings $621,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,715,000; Land $1,071,000 Buildings $644,000
A Brief History of 570-572 Johnson Street, Jeune Brothers
Jeune Brothers is one of Victoria’s oldest businesses. Before building this store at 570 Johnson Street in 1905, Jeune Brothers was located at 1407 Government Street. Jeune Brothers moved to this location after this building was completed in 1905 and has been operating from this store ever since.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 570-572 Johnson Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09008 – circa 1905
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?