Downtown Victoria Tour
Johnson Street – 500 Block

557-559 Johnson Street

557-559 Johnson Street was originally built in 1875 as a two storey commercial building for Alexander Gilmore. The third storey was added circa 1886. In 1890 this building became the east wing of the adjacent building at 547-555 Johnson Street.

557-559 Johnson Street is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

557-559 Johnson Street

557-559 Johnson Street

Here is a map showing the location of 557-559 Johnson Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 557-559 Johnson Street:

Additional Information About 557-559 Johnson Street

 

 

A Brief History of 557-559 Johnson Street

557-559 Johnson Street was originally built in 1875 as a two storey commercial building for Alexander Gilmore. The third storey was added circa 1886. In 1890 this building became the east wing of the adjacent building at 547-555 Johnson Street.

It was used as Saunders Grocery before become the business premises of Gilmore & Mccandless, Merchant Tailors.

557-559 Johnson Street is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?