The Lim Dat building at 1802-1826 Government Street runs the entire length of the block of Government Street between Herald Street and Chatham Street. It was built in 1909-10 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, at an estimated construction cost of $35.000, for Lim Dat, a prominent figure in early 20th century Victoria business and a leading member of Victoria’s Chinese community.

The Lim Dat Building consists of three separate three storey sections, with the center and northern sections each being built at a lower level because of the downward slope of Government Street between Herald Street and Chatham Street.

1909 architectural drawing of the Lim Dat Building, 1802-1826 Government Street

1909 architectural drawing of the Lim Dat Building, 1802-1826 Government Street

 

1802 Government Street, the south section of the Lim Dat building, built in 1910 for Lim Dat by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

1802 Government Street, the south section of the Lim Dat building, seen from Herlad Street. Built in 1910 for Lim Dat by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

The south section of the Lim Dat Building, 1800-1810 Government Street

The south section of the Lim Dat Building, 1800-1810 Government Street

The middle section of the Lim Dat Building, 1810-1820 Government Street

The middle section of the Lim Dat Building, 1810-1820 Government Street

The north section of the Lim Dat Building, 1820-1826 Government Street

The north section of the Lim Dat Building, 1820-1826 Government Street

Additional Information About 1802-1826 Government Street, the Lim Dat Building

  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $6,187,000; Land $2,375,000 Buildings $3,812,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $6,648,000; Land $2,245,000 Buildings $4,403,000

A Brief History of the Lim Dat Building

1909 architectural drawing of the Lim Dat Building, 1802-1826 Government Street

1909 architectural drawing of the Lim Dat Building, 1802-1826 Government Street

The Lim Dat Building was designed in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lim Dat, a prominent figure in Victoria’s Chinese community, and built at an estimated cost of $35,000. In 1908 Lim Dat was also issued the building permit for the Chinese Public School at 636 Fisgard Street.

The Lim Dat Building consists of three separate three storey sections, with the center and northern sections each being built at a lower level because of the downward slope of Government Street between Herald Street and Chatham Street.

The south section of the Lim Dat Building, 1800-1810 Government Street

The south section of the Lim Dat Building, 1800-1810 Government Street

The middle section of the Lim Dat Building, 1810-1820 Government Street

The middle section of the Lim Dat Building, 1810-1820 Government Street

The north section of the Lim Dat Building, 1820-1826 Government Street

The north section of the Lim Dat Building, 1820-1826 Government Street

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?