Here is a map showing the location of 1611 Quadra Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1611 Quadra Street:
A Brief History of St. John the Divine Anglican Church, 1611 Quadra Street
St. John the Divine Anglican Church was designed in 1912 by architect William Ridgway Wilson for the Anglican Church of Canada.
The church was financed largely through the sale of the present site of The Hudson, 1701 Douglas Street. An Anglican Church had stood on that site since 1860. In 1912, the Hudson’s Bay Company purchased the Anglican Church land at the north east corner of Douglas Street and Fisgard Street as the site of its planned department store. The purchase price was $140,000, which financed the construction of St, John the Divine Anglican Church.
The building was severely damaged by fire in 1962 and was repaired after the fire.
In 1973 a small apartment building for seniors’ housing was built by architect Alan Hodgson on church land to the immediate north of the church building. The 1973 addition also included an enclosed garden area.
Here are some links to historic photographs of St. John the Divine Anglican Church, 1611 Quadra Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M00141 – interior, 1922. photographer: Harry Upperton Knight
- City of Victoria Archives photo M07908 – 1925. photo: Parfitt Brothers
- City of Victoria Archives photo M0863 – interior, 1946. photographer: Harry Upperton Knight
- City of Victoria Archives photo M07909 – 1962, showing fire damage
For more information on St John the Divine Anglican Church
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?