Downtown Victoria Tour
Store Street

This City of Victoria Heritage Building building at 1427-1437 Store Street was built in two sections, the first in 1882 and the second in 1900, designed by architect Thomas Hooper. Since 1975 this building has been part of the Market Square.

This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1990 and listed in 2006.

1427-1437 Store Street, built in 1882 with north addition in 1900 by architect Thomas Hooper.

1427-1437 Store Street, built in 1882 with north addition in 1900 by architect Thomas Hooper.

1427-1437 Store Street, built in 1882 with north addition in 1900 by architect Thomas Hooper.

1427-1437 Store Street, built in 1882 with north addition in 1900 by architect Thomas Hooper.

Here is a map showing the location of 1427-1437 Store Street:

Additional Information About 1427-1437 Store Street

1427-1437 Store Street is legally consolidated into Market Square, 560 Johnson Street

  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2017): $18,378,000; Land $10.155,000 Buildings $8.223,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2016): $17,644,000; Land $9.179,000 Buildings $8.465,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2015): $16,337,000; Land $7.999,000 Buildings $8.338,000
  • Assessed Value of Market Square complex (July 2014): $15,753,000; Land $7.567,000 Buildings $8.186,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places – recognized in 1990 and listed in 2006.

A Brief History of 1427-1437 Store Street

This City of Victoria Heritage Building building was built in two sections, the first in 1882 and the second in 1900, designed by architect Thomas Hooper.

The original 1882 building consists of the southern two bays. You can see the dimensions of the original 1882 building by looking at the southern six windows on the second floor.

The 1900 addition, designed by architect Thomas Hooper, consists of the northern bay, which can be seen by looking at the north four windows on the second floor. Notice the difference in window size between the six second floor windows to the south (closest to Johnson Street), which were part of the original 1882 building, and the four windows on the north end of the building (closest to Pandora Avenue), which were part of the 1900 addition by Thomas Hooper.

The original 1882 building was built for Joseph Rhode, a German immigrant who opened a bakery in Victoria in 1872. Joseph Rhode built this building for his bakery in 1882.

The original building had a verandah over the sidewalk with a balcony on the second floor. The balcony was removed in the early 20th century but evidence of it remains in the second floor windows. Notice that in each of the two banks of three windows on the second floor, the middle window has a lower sill than the other windows. These two middle windows were originally doors which opened onto the second floor balcony on top of the verandah.

The northern portion of the building was added in 1900 by architect Thomas Hooper for then owner John Hepburn, who owned several other downtown buildings, including 566 Johnson Street, built in 1904.

In 1975, this building was legally consolidated into the Market Square, 560 Johnson Street.

This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1990 and listed in 2006.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?