Downtown Victoria Tour
Douglas Street – 1400 Block
1402 Douglas Street – the Porter Block

This City of Victoria Heritage Building was built in 1900 by architect William Ridgway Wilson for Robert J. Porter, who used it for his butcher shop, R. Porter & Sons. Robert J. Porter was also a Victoria alderman and Mayor of Victoria 1919-1921.

This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995 as the Porter Block.

The Porter Block, 1402-1406 Douglas Street. Built in 1900 by architect William Ridgway Wilson for Robert J. Porter, who used the main floor for his butcher shop, R. Porter & Sons. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Here is a map showing the location of the Porter Block:

The Porter Block, 1402-1406 Douglas Street. Built in 1900 by architect William Ridgway Wilson for Robert J. Porter, who used the main floor for his butcher shop, R. Porter & Sons. (photo by Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours)

Additional Information About the Porter Block, 1402-1406 Douglas Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $2,476,000; Land: $2,300,000; Buildings: $176,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $2,161,000; Land: $1,983,000; Buildings: $178,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $2,083,000; Land: $1,865,000; Buildings: $173,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places

A Brief History of the Porter Block

here are links to some historic photos of the Porter Block:

This City of Victoria Heritage Building was built in 1900 by architect William Ridgway Wilson for Robert Porter, who used it for his butcher shop, R. Porter & Sons.

Robert Porter was also a Victoria alderman from 1912-1916 and in 1918. He was also Mayor of Victoria in 1919-1921.

This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.

For much of its history this building was used as a butcher shop, first by R. Porter & Sons, later by Stewart Meats.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?