Downtown Victoria Tour
Government Street – 1300 Block

The Russell Building at 1316-1328 Government Street and 589 Johnson Street was originally built in 1879 for R.J. Russell. The original building, built in 1879, stands at the corner of Government Street and Johnson Street and is currently occupied by the Cowichan Trading Company.

In 1884, R.J. Russell acquired the land on Government Street to the south of his 1879 building and, in 1888, retained architect John Teague to design and build the southern addition to the building.

This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Government_Street-1316-1328-VictoriaOnlineSightseeing-498-1662x962

Here is a map showing the location of the Russell Building, 1316-1328 Government Street:


Additional Information About the Russell Building, 1316-1328 Government Street and 589 Johnson Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $5,690,000; Land $1,986,000; Buildings $3,704,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $4,987,000; Land $1,888,000; Buildings $3,099,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $3,342,000; Land $1,628,000; Buildings $1,714,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $3,336,000; Land $1,538,000; Buildings $1,798,000
  • Canadian Register of Historic Places

A Brief History of the Russell Building, 1316-1328 Government Street and 589 Johnson Street

The Russell Building at 1316-1328 Government Street and 589 Johnson Street was originally built in 1879 for R.J. Russell. The original building, built in 1879, stands at the corner of Government Street and Johnson Street.

In 1884, R.J. Russell acquired the land on Government Street to the south of his 1879 building and, in 1888, retained architect John Teague to design and build the southern addition to the building.

The Russell Building has always been a commercial building, with retail stores on the main level and offices on the second floor.

This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?