Victoria City Tour
Fort Street – 1100 Block
This house at 1177 Fort Street was built in 1900 for the Rev. Dr. John Campbell (1844-1930). It is now apartments, offices and retail stores.
1177 Fort Street is on the City of Victoria Heritage Registry.
Here is a map showing the location of 1177 Fort Street:
Additional Information About 1177 Fort Street
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,505,000. Land: $1,095,000, Buildings: $410,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,397,000. Land: $962,000, Buildings: $435,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,216,000. Land: 767,000, Buildings: $449,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,198,000. Land: 733,000, Buildings: $465,000
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
A Brief History of 1177 Fort Street
The architect who designed the house is not not known but the building contractor was Duncan R. McCrimmon.
Dr. John Campbell and his wife Agnes Campbell (1855-1933) lived here until the 1920’s. The Campbell’s named the house “Breadalbane” and it appears under this name in early 20th century records.
Many local historians have written of the Rev. Dr. Campbell’s reputation for doing “quickie weddings.” He apparently performed marriage ceremonies in this house for over 5,000 couples.
1177 Fort Street is currently dived into residential and commercial rental units.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?