Downtown Victoria Tour
Fisgard Street – 500 Block
Here is a Google Street View image of the 500 block of Fisgard Street:
Here is a map showing the location of the 500 block of Fisgard Street:
505 Fisgard Street / 1623-1627 Store Street
Built in 1898 by architect Thomas Hooper.
Listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
538-544 Fisgard Street – On Hing Building
Built in 1891 for the On Hing brothers, who were prominent landowners in Victoria’s Chinatown.
The building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
546-552 Fisgard Street – On Hing & Brothers building
This building was built in 1881 for the On Hing brothers, leading Chinatown landowners at the time, who rented out the main floor as commercial space and the upper floors as residential tenements.
The building is on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
549-555 Fisgard Street / 25-29 Fan Tan Alley
This landmark building at 549-555 Fisgard Street and 25-29 Fan Tan Alley was built in 1893 by architect William Ridgway Wilson for Loo Tai Cho, who rented out the main floor as stores and the upper floors as rooms and tenements.
This building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
554-562 Fisgard Street – Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association Building
This City of Victoria Heritage Building at 554-562 Fisgard Street was designed in 1885 for the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association by architect John Teague. It is still owned by the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association.
This building was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995 and listed in 2009.
557-561 Fisgard Street – Lee Woy & Company Building
This building was designed and built in 1908 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Woy.
It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places as the Lee Woy & Company Building. It is now used by the Chinese Freemasons.
564-572 Fisgard Street / 1704-1708 Government Street
This building was designed and built in 1946 by architect David C. Frame for George Joe.
For most of its history it has been used primarily as restaurants and it is being used for that purpose today, with I Kyu Noodles at 564 Fisgard Street and the Ocean Garden Restaurant at 568 Fisgard Street.
565 Fisgard Street / 1618-1628 Government Street
The Lee Block, at the intersection of Government Street and Fisgard Street, was built in 1910 by architect C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheung, Lee Woy and Lee Yau You. It was designed with commercial space on the main level and residential space on the upper floors and still maintains that configuration.
The Lee Block is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Gate of Harmonious Interest – Fisgard Street at Government Street
The Gate of Harmonious Interest was built at Government Street and Fisgard Street in 1980-81 to symbolize “the spirit of cooperation and participation between [Victoria’s] Chinese citizens and the rest of the community.”
It was formally dedicated in November 1981.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?