Charles Elwood Watkins (1875-1942)
In 1926 Charles Elwood Watkins was the second architect to join the then newly formed professional association, the Architectural Institute of B.C.
He used the name C. Elwood Watkins in his professional life. Here is a link to a BC Archives photo of C. Elwood Watkins.
Here is a partial listing of Charles Elwood Watkins’ projects on a leading Canadian architectural history website.
Here are the Charles Elwood Watkins projects we have included on this website so far:
- 909 Government Street – (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1903
- 911 Government Street – (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1903
- 913 Government Street – (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1903
- Metropolitan Building, 809-817 Government Street, (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1903 for Joseph Rostein and Louis Rostein
- 1006-1010 Government Street, (with Thomas Hooper) – Promis Block, built in 1905 for Oscar Promis and the Promis Estate Company, San Jose, California
- 1202 Fort Street, built in 1906-1907 (with Thomas Hooper)
- 740 View Street, (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1907 for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Victoria.
- 557-561 Fisgard Street, (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1908 for Lee Woy
- 536 Herald Street, (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1908-1909 for the B. Wilson Company.
- 618-624 Johnson Street, (with Thomas Hooper) built in 1909 for Lee Cheung, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow.
- 910 Gordon Street, built in 1910 for Brown & Cooper
- 565 Fisgard Street, the Lee Block, built in 1910 for Lee Woy & Company
- 612 Fisgard Street, built in 1910-11 for the Lee’s Benevolent Association
- 614 Fisgard Street, built in 1910-11 for the Lee’s Benevolent Association
- 625 Courtney Street, built in 1911 for Thomas Cusack
- 658-666 Herald Street, built in 1911-12 for the Hook Sin Tong Charity
- 1114-1126 Blanshard Street, the Montrose Apartments, built in 1912 for Andrew Sheret
- 1776 Beach Drive, built in 1913 for Henry C. Hall
For more information on Charles Elwood Watkins:
- Biographical Dictionary of Architects In Canada
- BC Archives photo C-06689 – C. Elwood Watkins – Architect
As one of Recommended Books, we also recommend Building The West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, edited by Donald Luxton, as an excellent source of further information about C. Elwood Watkins, his partner Thomas Hooper and other early architects listed on this site.
Building The West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, edited by Donald Luxton
This is an excellent reference book about the early architects of B.C. and their work.
We have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone interested in B.C. architecture and architectural history.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?