Yates Street – 700 Block
It features several historic buildings, a theatre and some worthwhile and interesting shops and restaurants.
Here is a map showing the location of the 700 Block of Yates Street:
Here is a Google Street View image showing the 700 Block of Yates Street:
1225 Douglas Street (at Yates Street) – Bank of Montreal
When the Merchants Bank of Canada was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in 1920, this building became the downtown Victoria branch of the Bank Montreal and has remained so ever ever since.
It was a hotel under various names until the 1980’s, when it was converted into its present configuration as an office building. The present exterior has been significantly changed from its original appearance.
719 Yates Street – Finch Building
The Finch Building at 719 Yates Street was designed and built in 1910 by architect David Cowper Frame for the firm of Finch & Finch which ran a clothing business. It has been used continuously for commercial purposes since 1910.
721 Yates Street was originally designed in 1909 as a commercial building for the Victoria Building Company but was sold during construction and converted into a hotel on the upper floors with the main floor at street level divided into retail space. It was operated as the Portland Hotel.
It is now called The Churchill and is presently configured as commercial space on the main floor with apartments on the upper floors.
780 Yates Street – Odeon Theatre
The Odeon Theatre, 780 Yates Street, was built in 1948 by Vancouver architect Henry Holdsby Simmonds (1883-1954) for Canadian Odeon. The Odeon is still being used as a movie theatre.
759 Yates Street – Dominion Rocket Apartments
759 Yates Street is now the Dominion Rocket apartments.
It was originally built in 1890 by Stephen Jones as the Dominion Hotel. Several additions to the original Dominion Hotel brought the building to its present size.
This building was operated as a hotel under the names Dominion Hotel and Hotel Dalton until being converted into the Dominion Rocket apartments.
794 Yates Street – Carnegie Building
It remained Victoria’s Public Library until the 1970’s when the building was sold to a credit union, which used it as its downtown Victoria branch. It is now an office building.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.