Some Notable Architect & Builders In Victoria History
John Teague (1835-1902) was one of the most influential architects in Victoria’s history. He also served as Mayor of Victoria.
Here are some of John Teague’s extant buildings in Victoria, in chronological order.
- 626 Blanshard Street, Reformed Episcopal Church, built in 1875-76 for Rev. Edward Cridge
- 636 Yates Street, built in 1877 as a fire hall for the Deluge Fire Company, one of Victoria’s three volunteer fire companies before the Victoria Fire Department was created in 1886.
- 650 Fisgard Street, Victoria Masonic Temple, original building built in 1878
- St. Ann’s Academy, original building 1886
- 18-26 Bastion Square, built in 1888 for hotelier Thomas Burnes
- Victoria City Hall,
- 1192 Fort Street, built in 1890
- 725 Vancouver Street, built in 1892
- 731 Vancouver Street, built in 1892
- 737 Vancouver Street, built in 1892
- 743 Vancouver Street, built in 1892
- 1012 Richardson Street, built in 1892
- 541-545 Johnson Street, Colonial Metropole Hotel, built in 1892
- 727 Yates Street, built in 1897 for Dr. F.W. Hall
- 571-577 Johnson Street, 1899. Note: attributed to John Teague.
Several of John Teague’s works have been declared National Historic Sites of Canada. These are:
- Church of Our Lord –
- Victoria City Hall –
- St. Ann’s Academy –
- Pemberton Memorial Operating Room, 1900 Fort Street
- Five Buildings in the Historic Naval District, Esquimalt
- Buildings on Cole Island, View Royal.
The Victoria Masonic Temple, 650 Fisgard Street. Designed by John Teague in 1878.
A major addition was built on the west of the original Victoria Masonic Temple building in 1909, after John Teague’s death.
Victoria City Hall – originally built by John Teague in 1878.
John Teague also designed major additions to the Victoria City Hall in 1881 and 1890-91.
John Teague is buried in Ross Bay Cemetery on Fairfield Road, Victoria.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?