Wharf Street – 1100 Block
1117-1125 Wharf Street – the Rithet Building
The Rithet Building at 1117-1125 Wharf Street is the primary structure in this group of 19th century commercial buildings in the 1100 block of Wharf Street.
The Rithet Building is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Here’s a map showing the location of the Rithet Building at 1117-1125 Wharf Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Rithet Building:
A Brief History of the Rithet Building
The Rithet Building, 1117-1125 Wharf Street, is comprised of three separate buildings erected between 1861 and 1885.
The middle building of the three was originally a two story building. The northern building and the southernmost building were originally single story structures and the second stories were later additions.
The Rithet Building, 1117-1125 Wharf Street, built 1861-1865 with additions in 1885 and 1889. This section of the building was the latest addition circa 1889.
Here is a photo of the Rithet Building, 1117-1125 Wharf Street, circa 1912, when it was being used by R.P. Rithet & Co. (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing collection)
Here is a photo of the Rithet Building, 1117-1125 Wharf Street, taken in 2005 from approximately the same position as the 1912 photo above. (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing)
The Rithet Building was purchased by the B.C. Provincial Government in the 1970’s and was used as government offices. It was consolidated with 1107 Wharf Street and 1109 Wharf Street into a single complex with a new address of 1107 Wharf Street.
Additional Information About the Rithet Building:
- Assessed Value (2020): $9,706,000; Land: $7,014,000; Buildings: $2,692,000
- Assessed Value (2019): $10,552,000; Land: $7,706,000; Buildings: $2,846,000
- Assessed Value (2018): $9,804,000; Land: $6,846,000; Buildings: $2,958,000
- Assessed Value (2017): $8,821,000; Land: $5,687,000; Buildings: $3,134,000
- Assessed Value (2016): $8,319,000; Land: $5,008,000; Buildings: $3,311,000
- Assessed Value (2015): $5,363,000; Land: $3,398,000; Buildings: $2,197,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
- Maltwood Gallery – University of Victoria
- Times-Colonist – 21 January 2016
Here are some more historic photos of the Rithet Building:
- BC Archives photo I-02070 – Rithet Building, 1129 Wharf Street and Board of Trade Building, 1949. Photographer: Duncan MacPhail.
- BC Archives photo B-02385 – 1129 Wharf Street and the Rithet Building, circa 1955
- BC Archives photo I-03535 – Wharf Street, 1984
- BC Archives photo I-03536 – Wharf Street, 1984
- BC Archives photo I-03537 – the Rithet Building interior, circa 1984
- BC Archives photo I-03539 – the Rithet Building interior, circa 1984
- BC Archives photo I-03540 – the Rithet Building interior, circa 1984
1912 Advertisement For Budweiser Beer, Distributed In Victoria by R.P. Rithet & Co.
In 1912 one of R.P. Rithet & Co. businesses was the wholesale distribution of beer and liquor. R.P. Rithet & Co. was the local Budweiser distributor and it handled this business from the Rithet Building.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?