Victoria City Tour

St. Charles Street

906 St. Charles Street

906 St. Charles Street was built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James and contractor Peter McKechnie for Harry and Margaret Bullen.

It was later owned by the daughter of Robert and Jennie Butchart of Butchart Gardens. Robert and Jennie Butchart moved into this house in their later years. Robert Butchart died here in 1943, Jennie Butchart died here in 1950.

It is now divided into three condominiums.

906 St. Charles Street. Built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James for Harry and Margaret Bullen (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

906 St. Charles Street. Built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James for Harry and Margaret Bullen (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

906 St. Charles Street. Built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James for Harry and Margaret Bullen (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

906 St. Charles Street. Built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James for Harry and Margaret Bullen (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

Here is a map showing the location of 906 St. Charles Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 906 St. Charles Street:

Additional Information About 906 St. Charles Street

  • Assessed Value 1-906 St. Charles Street (July 2018): $1,064,000
  • Assessed Value 1-906 St. Charles Street (July 2017): $995,000
  • Assessed Value 2-906 St. Charles Street (July 2018): $980,000
  • Assessed Value 2-906 St. Charles Street (July 2017): $917,000
  • Assessed Value 3-906 St. Charles Street (July 2018): $819,600
  • Assessed Value 3-906 St. Charles Street (July 2017): $767,500
  • Victoria Heritage Foundation

A Brief History of 906 St. Charles Street

See Victoria Heritage Foundation.

906 St. Charles Street was built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James and contractor Peter McKechnie for Harry and Margaret Bullen. Harry Bullen lived here until his death in 1924. Margeret Bullen lived here until 1928, when she moved to Europe.

The house was rented to various tenants until 1938, when it was purchased and converted to apartments by Gainsborough Apartments Ltd.

In 1941 the house was purchased by Princess Chirinsky-Chikhmatoff, the daughter of Robert and Jennie Butchart, of Butchart Gardens fame.

In 1944-1945 Princess Chirinsky-Chikhmatoff had the house converted into six suites. Robert and Jennie Butchart lived in this house until their deaths deaths; Robert Butchart died here in 1941, Jennie Butchart died here in 1950.

Princess Chirinsky-Chikhmatoff lived here until her death in 1971. Her sister, Mary Todd, who had previously lived at 942 St. Charles Street, died here in 1972.

906 St. Charles Street is now divided into three condominiums.

Here are links to some historic photographs of 906 St. Charles Street:

906 St. Charles Street. Built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James for Harry and Margaret Bullen (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

906 St. Charles Street. Built in 1920 by architect Percy Leonard James for Harry and Margaret Bullen (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

942-944 St. Charles Street, Wilmar. Built in 1909-1910 by architect Samuel Maclure for William and Mary Todd (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

942-944 St. Charles Street, Wilmar. Built in 1909-1910 by architect Samuel Maclure for William and Mary Todd (photo: Victoria Online Sightseeing Tours Inc.)

942-944 St. Charles Street, Wilmar

Built in 1909-1910 by architect Samuel Maclure for William and Mary Todd (nee Butchart).

Mary Todd lived here until the early 1950’s, when she moved into her sister’s house at 906 St. Charles Street.

Read More…

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?