Here is a map showing the location of 858 Yates Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 858 Yates Street:
Additional Information About 858 Yates Street
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,903,000; Land $1,512,000 Buildings $391,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,803,000; Land $1,021,000 Buildings $782,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,635,000; Land $970,000 Buildings $665,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,585,000; Land $837,000 Buildings $748,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,584,000; Land $790,000 Buildings $794,000
A Brief History of 858 Yates Street
858 Yates Street was originally built in 1920 as a garage by H.A. Davie.
The original building permit, issued to H.A. Davie by the City of Victoria in December 1919, describes a “public garage” with an estimated building cost of $11,000.
H.A. Davie operated a garage here until the 1930’s, when the building use was changed to retail stores. It was used by the Lum Tan & Co. grocery in the late 1930’s. In the 1940’s it became the Vogue Furniture House, which used the building until the late 1950’s.
In the 1960’s the main floor was converted to a billiard parlour and pool hall and operated under names like Suzy-Q Billiards and Deluxe Billiards.
The second floor was converted into a nightclub in the 1970’s. It has been operated under several names and is currently operating as Sugar’s.
Here are links to some historic photos of 858 Yates Street:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?