727 Johnson Street was built in 1910-1911 as an investment property for Dr. Arthur Garesche, a Victoria dentist.
Here is a map showing the location of 727 Johnson Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 727 Johnson Street:
Additional Information About 727 Johnson Street
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $3,511,000; Land $1,511,000; Buildings $2,000,000 [there was a major renovation to the building in 2017-18]
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,888,000; Land $1,719,000; Buildings $169,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,296,000; Land $1,127,000; Buildings $169,000
A Brief History of 727 Johnson Street
727 Johnson Street was built in 1910-11 by George Mesher. Unfortunately the contemporary records are unclear on whether this was George Mesher Sr. or his son, and business partner, the architect George Charles Mesher, so we are unable to definitively credit the design of this building to George Charles Mesher at this time.
The original building permit, issued to Dr. Garesche by the City of Victoria in February 1910, describes a “new brick building, 3 storeys, 2 stores, 39 stables. Purpose: stores and Sr.stables” with an estimated construction cost of $15,000.
As suggested by the building permit description, one early occupant of the building was a livery stable, the City Livery.
Other early tenants included Thomas Plimley Limited, which sold automobiles, motorcycles and bicycles.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 727 Johnson Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M00707 – Plimley Garage, 727 Johnson Street, circa 1910
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01247 – 727 Johnson Street, April 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M04368 – 727 Johnson Street, 1966
Here are some Historic Advertisements for Thomas Plimley and other businesses which have been located in 727 Johnson Street over the years:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?