Downtown Victoria Tour
Yates Street – 600 Block
630 Yates Street
630 Yates Street was built in 1950 by architect William F. Gardiner (1884-1951) for the Bank of Toronto, which used it as its main downtown Victoria branch office. The Bank of Toronto logo is still visible above the main door. This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2008.
When the Bank of Toronto merged with the Dominion Bank to form the present day Toronto Dominion Bank (TD Bank), this building became a downtown Victoria branch of the TD Bank. The bank branch was closed in the 1980’s as Canadian banks consolidated branch operations.
This building is currently the Legacy Art Gallery, operated by the University of Victoria, which uses the building as an art gallery as well as renting it out for special events.
Here is a map showing the location of 630 Yates Street, at the intersection of Yates Street and Broad Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 630 Yates Street:
Additional Information About 630 Yates Street
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $2,321,000; Land $927,000 Buildings $1,394,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $2,124,000; Land $888,000 Buildings $1,236,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,865,000; Land $844,000 Buildings $1,021,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,780,000; Land $728,000 Buildings $1,052,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,780,000; Land $688,000 Buildings $1,092,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 2008.
A Brief History of 630 Yates Street
630 Yates Street was built in 1950 by Vancouver based architect William F. Gardiner (1884-1951) for the Bank of Toronto, which used the building its main downtown Victoria branch. The Bank of Toronto logo still appears above the main door.
When the Bank of Toronto merged with the Dominion Bank in 1955 to form the Toronto Dominion Bank, this building became the main downtown branch of the TD Bank. It was a TD Bank branch until the 1970’s.
Since the TD Bank moved out of the building, it has been home to a variety of businesses, including a glass blowing studio.
It is now run by the University of Victoria as the Legacy Art Gallery.
Other buildings designed by William F. Gardiner include:
- Hampton Court Apartments, Cook Street at Leonard Street, built in 1913
- Craig Street Brew Pub, 25 Craig Street, Duncan, B.C., built in 1929
The Bank of Toronto had been operating a branch at this site before this building was built. Here is a photo of the previous Bank of Toronto building, circa 1949.
Here are some more links to historic photos of this building:
- BC Archives I-02188 – Bank of Toronto, 1949. This is the previous Bank of Toronto building on this site. Photographer: Duncan Macphail
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05567 – 1959
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?