Victoria City Tour
Beach Drive – Oak Bay
1538 Beach Drive was built in 1922 by architect Samuel Maclure for Ethel Helmcken, the widow of Dr. James Douglas Helmcken, who had previously lived in a house designed by architects Percy Leonard James and Douglas James at 1015 Moss Street.
Ethel Helmcken named this house Bide-A-Wee. It was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Here is a map showing the location of 1538 Beach Drive:
Additional Information About 1538 Beach Drive
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,619,000; Land $1,307,000 Buildings $312,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,432,000; Land $1,121,000 Buildings $311,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,057,000; Land $885,000 Buildings $172,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,135,000; Land $823,000 Buildings $312,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 2004
- Oak Bay Heritage Register
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?