Downtown Victoria Tour

Broad Street – 1400 Block

1400-1402 Broad Street / 618-624 Johnson Street

This commercial building at 618-624 Johnson Street and 1400-1402 Broad Street was built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow, three prominent real estate investors from Victoria’s Chinese community.

The main occupant is Island Collateral & Sales, Victoria’s oldest pawnshop, which has been in this building since 1970.

618-624 Johnson Street/1400-1402 Broad Street, built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow.

618-624 Johnson Street/1400-1402 Broad Street, built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow.

Here is a map showing the location of 618-624 Johnson Street / 1400-1402 Broad Street:

Here is a Google Street View image of 1400-1402 Broad Street / 618-624 Johnson Street:

Additional Information About 618-624 Johnson Street / 1400-1402 Broad Street

  • Assessed Value (July 2019): $2,554,000; Land $1,183,000 Buildings $1,371,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2018): $2,319,000; Land $1,066,000 Buildings $1,253,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,724,000; Land $1,054,000 Buildings $670,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,475,000; Land $1,001,000 Buildings $474,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,395,000; Land $863,000 Buildings $532,000
  • Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,391,000; Land $816,000 Buildings $575,000

A Brief History of 618-624 Johnson Street / 1400-1402 Broad Street

This commercial building at 618-624 Johnson Street and 1400-1402 Broad Street was built in 1909 by architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong, Lee Woy and Lee Yan Yow, three prominent real estate investors from Victoria’s Chinese community.

Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins were favoured architects among Victoria’s late 19th and early 20th century Chinese community. They received several other commissions from the Lee’s, including the Lee Block, 1618-1628 Government Street, 557-561 Fisgard Street and the Lee’s Benevolent Association Building, 612-614 Fisgard Street.

This building has always been a commercial building, with retail stores on the main level and office space on the upper floor.

The main occupant is Island Collateral & Sales, Victoria’s oldest pawnshop, which has been in this building since 1970.

Here are some links to historic photographs of 618-624 Johnson Street / 1400-1402 Broad Street:

Architect's drawing (1909) of the Johnson Street elevation of the Lee Cheong Block, now 618-624 Johnson Street, at Broad Street. The architects were Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins.

Architect’s drawing (1909) of the Johnson Street elevation of the Lee Cheong Block, now 618-624 Johnson Street, at Broad Street. The architects were Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins.

Architect's drawing (1909) of the Broad Street elevation of the Lee Cheong Block, now 618-624 Johnson Street,/1400-1402 Broad Street. The architects were Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins.

Architect’s drawing (1909) of the Broad Street elevation of the Lee Cheong Block, now 618-624 Johnson Street,/1400-1402 Broad Street. The architects were Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins.

Here are some other downtown Victoria buildings designed by Thomas Hooper and/or C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong and Lee Wong.

The Lee Block, 1618-1628 Government Street. Built in 1910 by architect C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Chong and Lee Wong. The Gate of Harmonious Interest is on the right.

The Lee Block, 1618-1628 Government Street. Built in 1910 by architect C. Elwood Watkins for Lee Cheong and Lee Wong. The Gate of Harmonious Interest is on the right.

Lee Block, 1618-1628 Government Street

Architect C. Elwood Watkins also designed the Lee Block, 1618-1628 Government Street, in 1910 by  for Lee Cheong and Lee Wong.

The Shon Yee Benevolent Association at 612 Fisgard Street and the Lee's Benevolent Association at 614 Fisgard Street. Designed by architect C. Elwood Watkins in 1910.

The Shon Yee Benevolent Association at 612 Fisgard Street and the Lee’s Benevolent Association at 614 Fisgard Street. Designed by architect C. Elwood Watkins in 1910.

Lee’s Benevolent Association – 614 Fisgard Street

Architect C. Elwood Watkins also designed the Lee’s Benevolent Association at 614 Fisgard Street in 1910. Lee Cheong and Lee Wong were involved in commissioning this building.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?