Victoria City Tour
1193 Beach Drive was built in 1927 by architect Percy Leonard James for Henry Burt-Smith. This house was listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2004. According to Oak Bay records, the estimated construction cost in 1927 was $5,800.
Henry Burt-Smith was a well known resident of Oak Bay in the early 20th century. He was retired when he commissioned this house in 1927.
The Canadian Register of Historic Places considers this house significant for its Tudor-Revival design, as a residential design by a significant architect like Percy Leonard James, the fact that it is a smaller residential property on a street noted for larger properties and estates, and as an indication of early 20th century Beach Drive residential properties being located near recreational amenities.
Here is a map showing the location of 1193 Beach Drive:
Additional Information About 1193 Beach Drive
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,218,000; Land $854,000 Buildings $364,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $938,000; Land $790,000 Buildings $148,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $806,000; Land $578,000 Buildings $228,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $789,000; Land $545,000 Buildings $244,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 2004
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?