Downtown Victoria Tour
Government Street – 1000 Block
1000-1002 Government Street – the Vernon Block
1000-1002 Government Street is known to architectural historians as the Vernon Block, after Charles A. Vernon, who commissioned architect Thomas Hooper to design it in 1899. The Vernon Block was built in 1899 at an estimated construction cost of $18,000.
It was formally recognized on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Here is a map showing the location of the Vernon Block, 1000-1002 Government Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Vernon Block, 1000-1002 Government Street:
The photos above show some of the decorative detail on the exterior of the Vernon Block.
Charles A. Vernon was associated with the B.C. Pottery Company and the exterior of this building was likely designed to show off the B.C. Pottery Company’s products.
Additional Information About the Vernon Block, 1000-1002 Government Street
- Assessed Value (July 2020): $5,540,000; Land – $2,910,000, Buildings – $2,630,000
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $6,358,000; Land – $3,641,000, Buildings – $2,717,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $5,535,000; Land – $2,776,000, Buildings – $2,759,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $4,958,000; Land – $2,076,000, Buildings – $2,882,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $4,510,000; Land – $1,515,000, Buildings – $2,986,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,190,000; Land – $1,230,000, Buildings – $2,960,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,173,000; Land – $1,204,000, Buildings – $2,969,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – listed in 1975
Here are links to some historic photographs of the Vernon Block:
- B.C. Archives photo I-01526 – 1946. Photo by Duncan MacPhail
Here are links to some Historic Victoria Advertisements for businesses which have been located in the Vernon Block over the decades. We will add more over time.
1910 Advertisement for Victor Records
Sold by M.W. Waitt & Co., 1004 Government Street, which was in the Vernon Block.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?