Some Notable Architects & Builders In Victoria History
John Wright (1830-1915) was Victoria’s first professional architect. Many of his projects were done in partnership with George Hipsley Sanders (1838-1920).
John Wright and George Sanders moved to San Francisco in 1866 and maintained a very successful architectural firm there until 1895. Unfortunately, virtually all of their San Francisco work was destroyed in the earthquake and fires of 1906, so all that remains of their output is located in British Columbia.
Here is a partial list of John Wright and George Sanders projects in British Columbia.
Here are the John Wright and George Sanders projects we have included on this site so far or will be including soon:
- 536 Yates Street, 1859 (attributed)
- 564 Yates Street, built in 1860 (attributed)
- 601 Trutch Street, Fairfield, for Sir Joseph Trutch, built in 1860-1861
- Congregation Emanu-el, 1461 Blanshard Street, built in 1863
- 207 Government Street, Carr House, built in 1863
- 923 Burdett Street, Angela College, built in 1865
The design of 536 Yates Street (below, left) is attributed to John Wright
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?