Wharf Street – 1200 Block
1202-1214 Wharf Street – Hartwig Court
Here is a map showing the location of 1202-1214 Wharf Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1202-1214 Wharf Street:
The rear of the Finlayson Building was designed for access to the Inner Harbour. It takes advantage of the slope to create three storeys overlooking the Inner Harbour while there is only a single level evident on Wharf Street.
Additional Information About 1202-1214 Wharf Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $8,932,000; Land $4,025,000; Buildings $4,907,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $8,205,000; Land $3,296,000; Buildings $4,909,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $7,460,000; Land $2,522,000; Buildings $4,938,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $7,416,000; Land $2,016,000; Buildings $5,400,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of 1202-1214 Wharf Street
1202-1214 was originally built in 1882 by architect Hermann Otto Tiedemann for Roderick Finlayson.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 1202-1214 Wharf Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M09906 – circa 1912, as E.B. Marvin & Co., Ship Chandlers. The building on the left of this photograph is the Hudson’s Bay Company warehouse, now demolished.
- BC Archives photo E-02650 – 1947
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01158 – 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05529 – 1965
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01157 – 1206 Wharf Street, 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M05531 – 1210 Wharf Street, 1960
- City of Victoria Archives photo M01156 – 1214 Wharf Street, 1960
Here are links to some Historic Advertisements placed by businesses operating in 1202-1214 Wharf Street over the years:
E.B. Marvin & Co. was a significant downtown Victoria business in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
It was located at 1202 Wharf Street.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?