Victoria City Tour
Fort Street – 1100 Block
1177 Fort Street
This house at 1177 Fort Street was built in 1900 as a residence for the Rev. Dr. John Campbell (1844-1930). It is now apartments, offices and retail stores.
1177 Fort Street is on the City of Victoria Heritage Registry.
Here is a map showing the location of 1177 Fort Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of 1177 Fort Street:
Additional Information About 1177 Fort Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $1,868,000. Land: $1,489,000, Buildings: $379,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,684,000. Land: $1,299,000, Buildings: $385,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,505,000. Land: $1,095,000, Buildings: $410,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $1,397,000. Land: $962,000, Buildings: $435,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,216,000. Land: 767,000, Buildings: $449,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $1,198,000. Land: 733,000, Buildings: $465,000
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
A Brief History of 1177 Fort Street
This house was built in 1900 for the Rev. Dr. John Campbell, who was a Minister at First Presbyterian Church, now the Alix Goolden Performance Hall on the corner of Quadra Street and Pandora Avenue.
The architect who designed the house is not not known but the building contractor was Duncan R. McCrimmon.
Dr. John Campbell and his wife Agnes Campbell (1855-1933) lived here until the 1920’s. The Campbell’s named the house “Breadalbane” and it appears under this name in early 20th century records.
Many local historians have written of the Rev. Dr. Campbell’s reputation for doing “quickie weddings.” He apparently performed marriage ceremonies in this house for over 5,000 couples.
1177 Fort Street is currently divided into residential and commercial rental units.
The Victoria Heritage Foundation website has more historical information on 1177 Fort Street.
Victoria Conservatory of Music, 907 Pandora Avenue
The Victoria Conservatory of Music, 907 Pandora Avenue. The building was designed in 1890 by architect Thomas Hooper as the First Methodist Church.
The Rev. Dr. Campbell, who built and owned 1177 Fort Street in 1900, was a Minister in 907 Pandora Avenue when it was the First Methodist Church.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?