Victoria City Tour
Fort Street – 1100 Block
1127 Fort Street
1127 Fort Street was built in 1907 by designer/builder David H. Bale for Anna Bantly. It is currently listed on the City of Victoria Heritage Register.
Here’s a map showing the location of 1127 Fort Street.
Here is a Google Street View image of 1127 Fort Street:
Additional Information About 1127 Fort Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $1,044,000 ; Land $817,000 Buildings $227,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,021,000 ; Land $769,000 Buildings $252,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $906,000 ; Land $721,000 Buildings $185,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $838,000 ; Land $687,000 Buildings $151,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $761,000 ; Land $593,000 Buildings $168,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $753,000 ; Land $576,000 Buildings $177,000
- Victoria Hallmark Society
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
A Brief History of 1127 Fort Street
1127 Fort Street was built in 1907 by designer/builder David H. Bale (also see 1402 Stadacona Avenue coming up a bit later on the tour) for Anna Bantly (1848-1912), who had previously lived at 851 Fort Street with her husband Marcus Bantly (ca. 1848-1906). Anna Bantly lived here until her death in 1912.
In 1909, David Bale also built two more adjacent houses for members of the Bantly family. 1125 Fort Street was built in 1909 for Anna Bantly’s son Ben and his wife Johanna; 1121 Fort Street (now demolished) was built in 1909 for Anna Bantly’s son Tony Bantly.
After Anna Bantly’s death in 1912, 1127 Fort Street was rented out to tenants. In the 1940’s new owners converted it into a rooming house.
In the 1980’s the house was converted into a tearoom, with the new owners winning a Hallmark Society award in 1984 for restoration of the interior. The Hallmark Society subsequently made a second award for exterior restorations on the house.
The house is currently owned by a law firm, which uses it as its offices. The house is listed on the Victoria Heritage Building Registry.
1402 Stadacona Avenue was also built by designer David H. Bale, who built 1125 Fort Street and 1127 Fort Street for Anna Bantly.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?